Join an organization at the forefront of health advocacy across the nation.
Community Catalyst is a leading non-profit national health advocacy organization dedicated to advancing a movement for health equity and justice. We partner with local, state and national advocates to leverage and build power so all people can influence decisions that affect their health. Health systems will not be accountable to people without a fully engaged and organized community voice. That’s why we work every day to ensure people’s interests are represented wherever important decisions about health and health care are made: in communities, state houses and on Capitol Hill. Additional information about Community Catalyst can be found at www.communitycatalyst.org
The Communications Manager will be responsible for providing strategic communications counsel to several Community Catalyst projects, notably: The Center for Consumer Engagement in Health Innovation (the Center), the Dental Access Program and the federal campaign team as well as support the organization’s overall communications.
Both of these initiatives have a particular emphasis on mobilizing or reaching populations that have been left out or behind when it comes to increasing access to health care in our country. The Center places a strong emphasis on working to transform the health care delivery system to be more responsive to those who often need the most attention. This involves supporting state and community advocacy campaigns across the country in their work on a variety of issues including but not limited to; care coordination, medical debt, person-centered care design, and more.
The Dental Access Project within Community Catalyst seeks to elevate the voice and power of communities to expand access to oral health care and foster policy and systems change grounded in what communities really need. The Project uses a health justice framework to improve access to equitable oral health coverage and care. This mean strengthening and diversifying the oral health advocacy base to promote a more equitable oral health care delivery system and promoting effective, community-led workforce solutions like dental therapy. Community Catalyst also serves as a co-chair of the National Partnership for Dental Therapy and, along with the co-chairs and a communication firm, supports that organization it its work.
This position is included in a collective bargaining unit represented by a staff union, Community Catalyst United, and specific employment terms may be subject to a future Collective Bargaining Agreement.
This is a full time grant-funded position that will begin immediately.
The Communications Manager’s supervisor of record will be the Senior Director of Communications. However, the Communications Manager will work closely with the Directors of the Center and the Dental Access Project and will be a member of the Communications Team.
- Lead development and implementation of all communications activity for the Center and the Dental Access Project, including overarching strategy development, media relations, digital communications, communications structure and protocols, messaging and implementation plans.
- Provide communications technical assistance to both projects’ grantees, including counsel on developing and executing communications strategies and tactics, production of communications materials, and proactive and rapid response message development. Provide training as needed.
- Serve as primary liaison to any PR agency/communications firm representatives supporting the work.
- Identify common themes from the work of the project’s grantees and identify issues that can be elevated nationally through a communications lens and highlight Community Catalyst and strategic plan priorities.
- Work closely with team members to develop and execute strategies around report releases, generating and pitching story ideas to the media, writing press releases, op-eds, statements and talking points, and triaging press calls.
- Work closely with Digital Communications staff to devise and implement a digital strategy for the project, advise grantees on their digital strategies, and to develop fresh, compelling and measurable web and social media content.
- Work with staff to develop and write reports and communications products, including providing assistance in translating complex health policy materials for broader audiences.
- Provide support to Community Catalyst’s Communications department including trainings for staff or partners, content development, triaging press calls and assistance with copyediting.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelors’ degree plus 3 years work experience or 5 years of relevant work experience
- Commitment to social justice and experience in social change activism
- Excellent writing, editing and presentation skills, including journalism and/or public policy experience for lay audiences and policymakers
- Experience working with media and developing media materials, including developing, writing and pitching stories, drafting and placing op-eds and letters to the editor
- Experience leveraging digital communications and social media in communications and advocacy campaigns and solid knowledge of social media and advocacy platforms
- Experience providing assistance or other training in strategic communications to advocacy organizations.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups of people in a variety of settings
- Strong organizational skills, detail oriented and able to manage many tasks simultaneously
- Ability to respond to tight timelines
- Collaborative team player
- Strong interest in and knowledge of health policy issues with health communications experience
- Background in journalism and/or public policy experience writing for lay audiences and policymakers
- Background in campaign communications and strategy
- Familiarity with podcast production
- Bilingual/Bicultural background
BENEFITS & SALARY RANGE
- Salary Range: $55,167—$68,959
- Generous paid time off policy
- Robust benefits package
Applicants should submit a resume with a one page cover letter briefly summarizing their interest in and qualifications for the position to: email@example.com. Please put “Communications Manager” in the subject line.
Community Catalyst is strongly committed to building a work environment that recognizes, respects, and encourages the unique contributions of a broad spectrum of qualified employees. We strive to make employment decisions that support inclusion to maintain a work atmosphere that is diverse, equitable and promotes family-friendly practices and work-life benefits so that people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles may grow personally and professionally.
We do not discriminate in hiring based on age, color, ethnicity, race, national origin, primary language, religion, socio-economic status, family status, mental and physical disabilities, veteran status, gender identity characteristics and/or expression, sex, medical condition, sexual orientation or any other classification that is protected by federal, state, or local law.
Through all of our programs, Community Catalyst works to build a better future for all individuals by advancing health equity, focusing on people of color, immigrants, as well as disability, gender, sexual identity and socio- economic status. It is important for our staff to reflect the diverse communities with which we work. People of color, LGBTQ identified people, gender-nonconforming people, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people who speak a language in addition to English are encouraged to apply.