Director of Storytelling & Content Strategy
Join a national organization committed to advancing a movement to race equity and health justice.
Community Catalyst is a leading non-profit national health advocacy organization dedicated to advancing a movement for race equity and health justice. We partner with local, state and national advocates to leverage and build power so all people can influence decisions that affect their health. Health systems will not be accountable to people without a fully engaged and organized community voice.
That’s why we work every day to ensure people’s interests are represented wherever important decisions about health and health care are made: in communities, state houses and on Capitol Hill. Learn more about our vision for the future in our five-year strategic plan.
Community Catalyst is looking for a Director of Storytelling and Content Strategy to conceptualize and produce digital content bringing to life the range of Community Catalyst issues and work — centered on race equity and health justice. We’re looking for a talented visual storyteller who gets excited about all the ways we can communicate about the future we’re trying to create. The ideal candidate is a self starter and has a demonstrated track record of creating compelling content grounded in storytelling.
This person will serve as a core member of the communications team, reporting directly to the Senior Director of Communications, and will work in close collaboration with the Digital Director. They will set content strategy and produce channel specific content while supporting organizational growth across various campaigns as a builder, creative partner, and digital storyteller.
This individual will play a key role in identifying, capturing and amplifying the voices, stories and experiences of colleagues, state and national partners, as well as advocates and communities we work with. They will ensure content and digital collateral aligns with the brand guidelines, organizational values, and priorities as defined in our five-year strategic plan.
Lead content creation across communications function and work streams that translates strategic priorities, accomplishments, and messaging into compelling, big-picture storylines and editorial features that advance brand reputation and perceptions with target audiences.
Conceptualize as well as execute solutions for a range of creative challenges — developing a clear vision for a project, and communicating concepts and ideas to internal and external stakeholders.
- Tell stories in a range of visual mediums
- Put systems in place to organize and maintain knowledge sharing of existing assets — including photos, videos, and other brand collateral
- Identify and help shape stories of impact across the organization and with partners
- Produce and edit creative collateral that centers a diversity of people and ideas
- Develop and manage production schedules and budgets with internal and external partners
- Provide strategy and expertise on digital channels and tested approaches to engagement
- Clearly communicate campaign goals and outcomes, with an eye towards iterative and shared learning
- Work collaboratively with program staff to develop digital storytelling campaigns and channel specific content
- Mentor and guide colleagues to ensure digital content is clear, concise and aligns with the new brand identity
- Ability to give and receive constructive creative feedback
- Contribute as a member of the communications team under the supervision of the Senior Director of Communications
- Float between campaigns and programs to identify and build thoughtful content and storytelling campaigns
- Work collaboratively with other individual contributors across the organization, and our partners, to lead/spearhead digital storytelling efforts as part of a greater whole
We want to hear from you if you believe your strengths and passion for building creative content and digital campaigns would help you succeed in this role, even if your past experience or skills don’t match this description perfectly.
- 8+ years working on digital programs (ideally for a non-profit, advocacy organization, campaign or agency)
- Experience developing content and executing digital storytelling campaigns in an established non-profit, agency and/or political environment
- Detailed understanding and knowledge of editing and design software, including Canva/Figma, AdobeCloud (Photoshop, Premiere, Lightroom) and CapCut
- Attention to detail and ability to elevate the voices, stories, culture and priorities of diverse stakeholders
- Keen sense of judgment, able to identify relevant and trending topics ahead of the curve, with journalistic skills to tell meaningful stories
- Familiarity with social media management tools like Agorapulse, Sprout Social or similar
- Familiarity with work management tools and systems like Airtable, Notion or Asana
- A desire to lead, build and improve on the programs and platforms that exist, communicating to leadership what’s needed and where you want to grow
Benefits & Salary Range
- Salary Range: Annual $115,000—$135,000
- Location: Flexible/remote
- Generous paid time off policy
- Robust benefits package
Applicants should submit a resume with a one-page cover letter briefly summarizing their interest in and qualifications for the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Director of Storytelling and Content Strategy” in the subject line.