Associate Director, Voices for Health Justice
Join a national organization committed to advancing a movement to race equity and health justice.
Community Catalyst is a leading non-profit national health advocacy organization dedicated to advancing a movement for health equity and justice. We partner with local, state and national advocates to leverage and build power so all people can influence decisions that affect their health. Health systems will not be accountable to people without a fully engaged and organized community voice. That’s why we work every day to ensure people’s interests are represented wherever important decisions about health and health care are made: in communities, state houses and on Capitol Hill. Learn more about our vision for the future in our five-year strategic plan.
Voices for Health Justice (Voices) is a collaborative designed to build the power of community-led health advocacy organizations to achieve state and local change, with an emphasis on grassroots organizing and power building, race equity, and anti-racism. Voices is a collaborative lead by Community Catalyst in partnership with two national partners, Community Change and Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (the steering committee), working with a network of state and community partners. Within Community Catalyst, Voices is a part of our Organizing People & Power initiative, which is focused on power building and organizing with local, tribal, and state partners to build a stronger, more united health justice movement. This initiative focuses on grassroots organizing, fostering a stronger leadership development pipeline, growing and deepening partnerships and driving policy change by centering communities most impacted by health disparities.
As the lead national partner, Community Catalyst collaborates with the steering committee to provide capacity-building and technical assistance support to up to 24 state projects that include up to 90 community organizations. Each of these 24 state partnerships emphasize building community power at the grassroots level to make progress toward community-driven policy change at the local, state, and/or national level.
The Associate Director will be responsible for managing and overseeing Voices’ day-to-day work and leading the strategy for the project in collaboration with Community Catalyst’s Director of Power building and Organizing and the Voices Steering Committee. The Associate Director will join staff on the Voices team, including colleagues from other national partner organizations, to lead the initiative. The Associate Director will supervise Voices staff, and coordinate and collaborate with related Community Catalyst programs and staff. The Associate Director will also ensure all fiscal and other requirements of the program are met with support from the Director of Power building and Organizing and the Finance department.
The Associate Director role is supervised by the Senior Director of Programs & Advocacy.
- Oversee the programmatic work of Voices.
- Provide strategic and programmatic support to Community Catalyst staff who are engaged in the Voices initiative. Specific responsibilities in this regard would include:
- Setting the agenda and facilitating Voices meetings internal to Community Catalyst as well as external with engagement from Steering Committee organizational partners.
- Manage the project’s day-to-day work, including project development, ongoing management and project monitoring and evaluation.
- Manage grant deliverables for the Voices subgrant(s). Specific responsibilities in this regard would include:
- Writing grant reports and proposals
- Assisting in the development of sub-granting strategy and oversight of sub-grants to Voices State Project Teams.
- Supervising up to three Voices staff
- Provide communications, strategic guidance, and technical assistance to State Project Teams engaged in the Voices initiative.
- In coordination with other Community Catalyst colleagues, maintain regular communication with collaborating Steering Committee members and/or national partner organizations
- Identify and assist with implementing communications activities to ensure the visibility of the project and to translate promising practices that emerge from the initiative to inform the broader field.
- Collaborate closely with Community Catalyst staff, including Project Managers, State Advocacy Managers, Policy Analysts and Program Associates/Coordinators to ensure strategic support is provided to all Voices State Project Teams.
- Provide strategic guidance and input to help inform Voices State Project Teams in areas that include policy, communications, coalition-building and stakeholder and grassroots engagement.
- Track federal, state and local policy developments in sub-grantee focus areas in order to offer strategic guidance.
- Coordinate closely with related Community Catalyst programs to assure maximum synergy and learning, including relevant members of Senior Management.
- Participate in meeting with key stakeholders and advisors.
- Perform other duties as necessary to achieve the goals of the project.
- Bachelor’s degree plus at least 8-10 years relevant work experience and 5+ years relevant advocacy experience.
- Commitment to social justice and experience in social change activism such as: legislative advocacy or political/policy issue campaigns; community organizing; working with coalitions and stakeholders; and/or implementing communications strategies
- Experience with grassroots organizing campaigns led by and that build power for those most impacted by health care disparities
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of the political process and its interface with health policy and social justice.
- Strong grasp of state and federal health policy, especially those that pertain to health policy and social justice. Ability to analyze policies to identify trends and emerging issues to inform ongoing strategy for Voices.
- Ability to provide strategic direction and guidance to project and exercise strategic political judgement
- Proven written and verbal communications skills, including experience with public speaking, training, facilitating, and/or coaching. Ability to convey complex information to the public both verbally and in writing
- Experience working with development and writing grant proposals and reports as well as demonstrated effectiveness in communicating project updates to donors.
- Lived experience in one or more of the health issues listed on the Community Catalyst website
- Experience leading a multi-organization coalition and/or collaborative with partners with sometimes conflicting interests
Salary & Benefits
- Salary Range: $81,000 – $91,458
- Generous paid time off policy
- Robust benefits package
- Location: Remote position, flexibility in supporting different time zones will be required
Applicants should submit a resume as a document with a one page cover letter briefly summarizing their interest in and qualifications for the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Associate Director, Voices for Health Justice” in the subject line.