Join a national organization committed to advancing a movement to race equity and health justice.
Community Catalyst is a leading non-profit national health advocacy organization dedicated to advancing a movement for health equity and justice. We partner with local, state and national advocates to leverage and build power so all people can influence decisions that affect their health. Health systems will not be accountable to people without a fully engaged and organized community voice. That’s why we work every day to ensure people’s interests are represented wherever important decisions about health and health care are made: in communities, state houses and on Capitol Hill. Learn more about our vision for the future in our five-year strategic plan.
This is an exciting time for Community Catalyst with a new strategic plan and a new multi-year plan to grow the organization’s donor community in support of health justice goals. Providing consulting services to clients including hospitals, health plans and providers, state agencies, and federal contractors are among the many ways in which Community Catalyst achieves its mission. These services include facilitation, training, research and analysis that will be used to develop and implement programs to better serve members/patients, in particular beneficiaries of the Medicare and Medicaid programs. The ultimate goal of our consulting is to improve health care services and the overall health of people with complex needs, particularly those from historically excluded or underrepresented populations.
As part of a growing business development team, the Business Development Officer will play a key role in business planning and development leveraging the organization’s unique expertise and capacity to offer consultative services to assist health plans, public programs, provider groups, social services providers and others to more effectively engage people in new models of care. This role will also be engaged in the contract management side of the work.
This position is included in a collective bargaining unit represented by a staff union, Community Catalyst United, and specific employment terms may be subject to a future Collective Bargaining Agreement.
The Business Development Officer reports to the Director, Business Development.
- Identify and research new business development opportunities supporting a pipeline of upcoming opportunities.
- Conduct outreach to potential new clients.
- Write and edit proposals, concept papers and other documents with teams of internal and external collaborators.
- Coordinate proposal teams including coordinating partners, managing the overall proposal process, supporting budget development, and providing logistical support to the proposal team.
- Work to develop and revise internal business development processes and tools.
- Provide logistical support to the contract review and administration process.
- Provide contractual and logistical support to the management of contracts including development of contract management processes and tools and tracking of deliverables and compliance requirements.
- Support the development of an internal learning process to capture learnings from our contract work helping us integrate practice, research, and policy so that it leads to individual and community improvement of health outcomes.
- Facilitate and participate in meetings between clients/prospective clients and program leadership.
- Develop and manage the business development team’s contract launch process to document and communicate client expectations and requirements at the beginning of each contract.
- Collaborate with programs and finance on the development of proposals, proposal budgets, and other required documents. Manage confidential information with discretion and follow strict protocols for maintaining confidentiality.
- Update databases with information related to client relationship management, new business opportunities, and contracts.
- Provide logistical and administrative support to the day-to-day management of the business development team, as needed.
- Perform other duties as necessary to achieve the organization’s business development goals.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 4 years of business development experience or 7 years of equivalent work experience, preferably in the U.S. health sector.
- Track record of securing government and private sector contracts and managing client relationships.
- Excellent persuasive writing and analytical skills to develop responsive, high-quality proposals.
- Experience evaluating funding opportunities and prospects.
- Experience working in an entrepreneurial environment where there is ability and comfort level with developing processes as you work.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, engage diverse collaborators and maintain project timelines in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of Salesforce or a related system.
- Commitment to social justice and racial equity.
Salary & Benefits
- Salary Range: $72,000-$77,000
- Generous paid time off policy
- Robust benefits package
- If Boston based, primarily remote with some time in office on as needed basis. If outside of Boston, possibility of fully remote with some travel to Boston office and other locations.
Applicants should submit a resume as a document with a one page cover letter briefly summarizing their interest in and qualifications for the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Business Development Officer” in the subject line.