Senior Policy Analyst
Join a national organization committed to advancing a movement to race equity and health justice.
Community Catalyst is a leading non-profit national health advocacy organization dedicated to advancing a movement for health equity and justice. We partner with local, state and national advocates to leverage and build power so all people can influence decisions that affect their health. Health systems will not be accountable to people without a fully engaged and organized community voice. That’s why we work every day to ensure people’s interests are represented wherever important decisions about health and health care are made: in communities, state houses and on Capitol Hill. Learn more about our vision for the future in our five-year strategic plan.
The Senior Policy Analyst provides leadership, strategic advice, policy analysis, and contributes to the creation of policy resources to translate information to health advocates, providers and policymakers. The Senior Policy Analyst supports issues related to health equity, with a particular focus on eliminating disparities faced by low-income populations and communities of color through power building, advocacy, teaching and learning.
The Senior Policy Analyst works as part of a team to offer technical assistance to state consumer health advocates and grassroots partners. Our technical assistance includes support across a range of capacities including coalition building, communications support, grassroots engagement, policy analysis, organizational sustainability, and campaign strategy and implementation. The Senior Policy Analyst will also lead initiatives to support national and state partners and advocacy coalitions as well as donors in pursuing their policy advocacy goals.
This position is included in a collective bargaining unit represented by a staff union, Community Catalyst United, and specific employment terms may be subject to a future Collective Bargaining Agreement.
The Senior Policy Analyst is supervised by the Director of Policy with project work supervised by associate director. This person may be responsible for supervising staff working in their area of expertise.
- Build and maintain relationships with state health advocates and provide them with policy research and analysis support and strategic guidance on how to defend and advance health coverage across a range of issue areas, especially within the context of State Medicaid programs.
- Write comment letters, issue briefs, fact sheets, blogs, and reports on pertinent health policy topics to support our learning community
- Coordinate and collaborate with other Community Catalyst programs on cross-cutting issues
- Develop expertise in a number of policy areas that are part of the agenda and the broader Community Catalyst health system transformation agenda (e.g., comprehensive coverage, improved health outcomes and access to affordable care, and establishing a more community-driven and representative health workforce)
- Help craft and lead part of the project team’s state and federal policy agenda in collaboration with the senior policy staff.
- Support efforts to expand access to care and improve care delivery by providing policy research and analysis, and strategic technical assistance to state and grassroots partners, donors, the broader advocacy community and Community Catalyst staff.
- Support state and local consumer advocates on a range of issues that may include improving access and affordability of care, addressing inequality and reducing barriers in obtaining care.
- Be prepared to immerse themselves in new policy issues that may arise
- Track and analyze legislation, regulations and/or guidance and provide strategic political advice to consumer advocates at the state and local level and develop formal comments to state and federal policymakers
- Maintain and develop relationships with collaborating national organizations, including management and oversight of partner organization contracts to conduct policy work
- Actively participate as a member of the project team, and the cross-organizational Policy Teams
- Lead program design, development and evaluation for the project team.
- Perform other duties as necessary to achieve the goals of the department
- Bachelor’s degree plus 4 years, at least 6 years relevant work experience
- Broad, diverse knowledge and experience in state or federal health policy, including but not limited to issues related to Medicaid coverage, payment reform, health insurance markets, and health workforce.
- Demonstrated commitment to health equity and racial justice.
- An interest in and capacity for translating evidence-based research and knowledge into public policy strategies and practice
- Experience and knowledge of the political process and its interface with health policy
- Demonstrated ability to convey complex information in writing and orally so that it is easily understood by various audiences, including health advocacy partners and policymakers
- Demonstrated communication skills with ability to provide policy and advocacy coaching, technical assistance and capacity building to advocates in person and on the phone.
- Research and analysis skills, as well as the ability to lead research projects and analyze qualitative and some quantitative data
- Experience advocating for local, state or federal policy or systems change
- Flexibility and ability to take on and identify emerging issues in health policy
- Ability to provide strategic direction and guidance to state partners and Community Catalyst staff
- Demonstrated history of working with a broad range of stakeholders
- Organizational skills, including the ability to manage multiple tasks at once, respond to tight timelines, pay attention to detail, and operate effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Leadership, relationship development, collaborative, and team building skills
- Experience with public speaking, training, facilitating, and/or coaching
- Commitment to social justice and experience in social change activism such as: legislative advocacy or political/policy issue campaigns; community organizing; working with coalitions and stakeholders; and/or implementing communications strategies
- Experience working in a multicultural environment
- Ability to travel in US
- Experience working with consumer and community advocacy organizations
- Lived experience in one or more of the health issues listed on the Community Catalyst website
- Bilingual/bicultural background
Salary & Benefits
- Salary Range: $62,150 – $77,580
- Generous paid time off policy
- Robust benefits package
- Location: Remote position, flexibility in supporting different time zones will be required
Applicants should submit a resume as a document with a one page cover letter briefly summarizing their interest in and qualifications for the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Senior Policy Analyst” in the subject line.